Location: Spokane, WA
Who we are looking for?
The ideal candidate will be mission-driven with a desire to make a difference for families and communities served by LCS Northwest.
The LCSNW and its affiliate, Compass Housing Alliance, receive funding to provide services to clients and the community through a wide variety of government contracts and private foundation grants.
The Accounting Manager serves a major role in LCSNW’s Accounting and Reporting department by ensuring the Agency and its affiliates prepares financial statements that reflect accurate, timely and relevant financial activity recorded according to GAAP and compliant with the Uniform Guidance for LCSNW, Compass Housing Alliance and all associated, related and affiliated companies.
The Accounting Manager leads the month end close process, supervises accounting staff, ensures accounting is consistent with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), produces reports consistent with internal and external user requirements, supports the implementation of new accounting standards, and leads the preparation and review of materials for the auditors. This role will have the opportunity to be a leader in the selection and replacement of the Agency’s financial system. The Accounting Manager collaborates with program leaders, finance directors, and other leaders of LCSNW and its affiliate, Compass Housing Alliance. Must reside in WA, OR, ID, NJ, PA.
- Hire, mentor, and supervise staff responsible for accounting processes, accounts payable and disbursement functions, and internal controls
- Manage the month-end close process, including internal controls, journal entries, system processes and allocations.
- Direct and lead all accounting, analytics, and internal control processes, including account reconciliations, for the portfolio of responsibility for the following major business cycles: cash and banking; procure to pay; fixed asset capitalization and leasing; allocations.
- Oversee Accounts Payable and expense reporting, including being the subject matter expert on the subledger systems
- Manage the Uniform Guidance compliance, including the Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards
- Partner with the Assistant Controller to manage the preparation of audit and tax work papers and coordination with the agency and program auditors
- Recommend and implement improvements to existing systems, controls, work processes and procedures affecting month-end and quarter-end close, account analysis preparation and reporting
- Own, manage and champion the Finance ticketing system and performance metrics for the department
- Produce ad-hoc reporting and analysis to support business operational, development, financial and strategic decisions
- Lead and contribute to other special projects and requests as assigned
- This position directly supervises up to 4 direct and up to 4 indirect reports.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Leadership, mentorship and development of people
- High ethical standards
- Passion for relentless improvement
- Significant experience applying GAAP in accounting and financial reporting
- Strong understanding of key internal controls over financial reporting and their impact on operations and cost
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills
- Process and systems’ savvy
- Communicator of ideas and concepts and translator of accounting information for non-accountants
- Initiator who works well under deadlines and flexibility as priorities shift
- People connector and partner
- Process and systems’ sensible
A combination of the experience, education, and training listed below which provides an equivalent background to perform the work of this position.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive accounting experience
- Minimum of 1 year of accounting experience in a regulated industry
- Minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience
- Not-for-profit accounting
- Uniform Guidance federal compliance experience
- Fund accounting system such as Sage MIP
- Systems’ implementation
- Public accounting
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance or other relevant field is required
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS
- CPA license (active or inactive) strongly preferred
- Vacation includes: up to 2 weeks in the first year, with an increase up to 3 weeks in the second year and incrementally up to 5 weeks after 6 years (based on hours worked). Up to 2 ½ weeks of Sick leave for you or to take care of your immediate family (based on hours worked). 10 Paid Holidays plus 2 Floating Holidays each year.
- A 403(b) Retirement plan, with employer matching contributions after meeting eligibility requirements.
- Our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is designed to help and support you. Mileage and expense reimbursement is also provided.