Location: Morningside Campus at Columbia New York
Reporting to the Executive Director, the incumbent is responsible for developing, managing and maintaining reports and data-driven processes and applications for analysis related to Finance, Human Resources, Faculty Affairs, and Sponsored Projects. The incumbent will use varied data sources to retrieve data, perform analysis and assessment, and reporting on that data. The incumbent will seek out areas for improvement and automation in our data processes and procedures across with focus in these functional areas: Finance, HR, and Sponsored Research. The incumbent will develop, validate, and maintain improved data sets and tools to serve academic departments and central offices in their financial reporting and analysis.
- (40%) Provide data and reports on Finance, Human Resources, Faculty Affairs, and Sponsored Projects matters for both regularly required data as well as ad-hoc requests for data from various stakeholders. Respond quickly to user requests and provide ad-hoc reports and datasets in response to requests from various departments. Develop and automate financial reports that will assist with tracking financial activity across the School against commitments.
- (20%) Develop quality control systems to determine risks, identify database discrepancies and work with various datasets to execute reconciliation with data and provide accurate and detailed reports. Supports new initiatives to create and maintain robust accountability systems including the development of assessment tools.
- (20%) Extract data from managed data systems using SQL and Python for various requests for information. Prepare and present data to various audiences using tables, charts, and narrative reports in a way that stakeholders can easily understand. Administer regularly scheduled and ad hoc surveys/participant research and report results. Develop a level of expertise with qualitative data collection and analysis. Quickly assess user needs and translate into clear and concise data requirements to ensure data and reports are provided in a timely fashion
- (10%)Maintain various survey process which includes distributing the instruments, making regular updates at the request of academics, ensure proper documentation for any changes, maintain consistency between survey tool and database, produce reports and ad hoc data requests based upon various data, and seek ways to streamline the processes already in place. Maintain documentation in the form of code and solutions for transmission to other data users.
- (5%)Prepare reports and presentations for various different audiences using data collected and analyzed
- (5%)Performs other tasks, duties, and responsibilities as required
- 4-6 years related experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, data science, social sciences of a related field required (Master’s preferred)
- Demonstrated data management skills including the ability to manage large datasets. Relational database management system (RDBMS) experience required.
- Skill and experience with descriptive statistics, large datasets, and qualitative research methods.
- Expertise with Microsoft Office, and advanced proficiency in Excel, some experience with Python and querying languages such as SQL are required.
- Experience developing and maintaining dashboards from large datasets required (PowerBI preferred)
- Advanced knowledge of PowerPoint and building presentations.
- Strong attention to detail, flexible, and ability to work well independently on self-directed data and automation projects.
- Experience in higher education, particularly in an institutional research office, is also desirable.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with prior experience in variance analysis and financial modeling preferred.
- Proficiency in organizing and reporting data with strong attention to detail and accuracy and ability to solve complex research methodology. Experience in interpreting and evaluating research results.