Location: Arlington, VA
We are part of AWS Product BI team. This team supports the business intelligence needs for Compute, Storage, Networking, Automation & Messaging, Management Tools and Developer Tools product families. We own the data, metrics and reporting for these orgs. We empower all our stakeholders to make data driven business decisions by providing Daily Reports, WBRs, Analyses/Narratives and Datasets. We innovate on behalf of our end-users to produce relevant Metrics, Automations and Tools to make Data and Insights actionable.
“Nothing is beyond our reach”
We operate by the slogan that “nothing is beyond our reach”. We think big. We sometimes find ourselves asking “how in the world is there no tool or solution for this?”, or “how have we managed to operate like this for so long?”. Our response in these moments, is “well, let’s fix it”. If the idea of pioneering solutions to unsolved problems from the ground up in uncharted territory sounds exciting to you, come join us!
AWS produces an outrageous amount of data, and our org is seeking a data engineer to usher in a new generation of data management where data can be a first class citizen in our operations. AWS is looking for an excellent Data Engineer to join the AWS Product BI team. This is your opportunity to be a core part of the team that has direct impact on the day-to-day decision making in the many AWS Product teams like EC2, S3 and IoT.
Since early 2006, AWS has provided companies of all sizes with an infrastructure platform in the cloud. AWS is a high-growth, fast-moving division within Amazon with a start-up mentality where new and diverse challenges arise every day. On the AWS Product BI team you will be surrounded by people that are exceptionally talented, bright, and driven, and believe that world class BI is critical to our success. To help build this growing team, you should be highly analytical and possess a strong passion for analytics and accountability, set high standards with a focus on committed business success. We take working hard, having fun, and making history seriously. AWS sets the standard for functionality, cost, and performance for many cloud based services, but it’s still early days for cloud computing, and there are boundless opportunities to continue to redefine the world of cloud computing – come help us make history!As a Data engineer on this team, you will be a technical leader in our team, and own the technical architecture of our BI and Data platforms. You will get the exciting opportunity to work on very large data sets in one of the world’s largest and most complex data warehouse environments. You will work closely with the business and technical teams in analysis on many non-standard and unique business problems and use creative-problem solving to deliver actionable output.
Our team is serious about great design and redefining best practices with a cloud-based approach to scalability and automation. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, an ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, and an ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Designing, developing, troubleshooting, evaluating, deploying, and documenting data management and business intelligence systems, enabling stakeholders to manage the business and make effective decisions.
- Building secure, available, scalable, stable, and cost-effective data solutions using data storage technologies, distributed file system, data processing, and business intelligence best practices.
- Create end to end data pipelines for supported services. Understand the business case and create data models to proactively answer business questions.
- Working with business customers in understanding the business requirements and implementing solutions to support analytical and reporting needs.
- Designing and planning for solutions in the various engineering subject areas as it relates to data storage and movement solutions: data warehousing, enterprise system data architecture, data design (e.g., Logical and Physical Modeling), data persistence technologies, data processing, data management, and data analysis.
- Ensuring completeness and compatibility of the technical infrastructure to support system performance, availability and architecture requirements.
- Bachelors degree in software engineering or a relevant quantitative discipline
- Experience with and detailed knowledge of data warehouse technical architectures, data modeling, infrastructure components, ETL/ ELT and reporting/analytic tools and environments, data structures and hands-on SQL coding.
- Experience in python or similar scripting language for automation
- 2+ years of work experience with ETL, Data Modeling, and Data Architecture with hundreds of terabytes of data
- Experience working with core AWS data and analytics services. Understand of the applicability, limitations, and trade offs between a wide set of AWS database and analytics technologies.
- Experience with Redshift or very large DW environments. Tangible experience working with Redshift Spectrum, AWS Glue, DynamoDB, and S3
- Strong grasp of SQL and at least one scripting or programming language.
- Experience in designing and delivering cross functional custom reporting solutions.
- Experience with Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) databases – Redshift, Teradata etc
- Experience with distributed systems and NoSQL databases
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Proven ability to meet tight deadlines, multi-task, and prioritize workload – A work ethic based on a strong desire to exceed expectations.
- Excellent analytical skills
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.