Location: Seattle, WA (base) but also open to candidates in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Sunnyvale, CA; or New York; NY.
Amazon’s Device Design Group has launched revolutionary products like Echo, Fire TV, Alexa Communications, and more. Within DDG, the DDG UX Research (UXR) team enables Amazon’s Devices and Alexa business to make informed decisions based on sound mixed-method research and analytics. We are looking for an experienced and motivated UX Researcher to join our growing team of mixed-methods researchers, and raise the bar on how we gather and apply customer insights at Amazon. If you are passionate about developing and applying research methods to answer challenging questions, enjoy collaborating closely with a diverse set of highly skilled cross-functional partners, and like seeing your efforts translated into real world impact, we want you on our team.
*This role is based in the Device Design Group’s Seattle location, but we are also open to hiring remote talent within proximity to our San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Los Angeles, or New York offices.*
- Help product teams and leadership determine the right research questions to ask.
- Define and execute (and, as necessary, invent) research methods appropriate to the questions at hand, including but not limited to field research, surveys, lab studies, remote testing, and A-B tests.
- Provide focused, insightful, and actionable findings by quickly and thoroughly analyzing a wide range of primary and secondary data types.
- Successfully persuade key cross-functional stakeholders to take aligned action on research findings. Inspire them and help them internalize opportunities to delight customers and differentiate our service.
- Translate insights into measurable customer experience outcomes aligned to business goals.
- Work with design, product management, engineering, and marketing partners to develop innovative end-to-end solutions that address top outcomes. Iteratively design and test these solutions until outcomes are achieved or hypotheses are proven wrong.
- Advance the development of insight-based knowledge management frameworks used to drive decision-making and prioritization of investments.
- Generate insights and artifacts that influence and are adopted by other teams across Amazon.
- Define and build strong heuristic user research frameworks for the design team to leverage.
- Provide world-class expertise to the user research team and raise the user research bar with regards to mix of methods based on research questions, timeline and resourcing.
- Work closely with Design and Product Management teams to define, measure and communicate user research insights.
- The user researcher will work on overlapping projects, so strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task are critical.
- 3+ years of demonstrated success contributing to the design of successful digital products and services.
- MA/MS in Experimental Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Social Psychology, Human Factors, Human Computer Interaction, Behavioral Economics, or a related field.
- Experience in the application of a variety of research methods; qualitative and quantitative, attitudinal and behavioral, generative and evaluative.
- Experience with ethnographic techniques, contextual inquiry, user insight generation, and related methodologies with demonstrated results.
- Experience designing and running original experimental research on digital products and services.
- A portfolio that demonstrates past work experience and deliverables (e.g., how your research informed decision-making, ideally in the digital products and services industry).
- Working understanding of the design process and how research is appropriately integrated at each phase.
- Understanding of human motivations, capabilities, and limitations as applied to the design of interactive systems.
- Facility for uncovering root causes of good or bad research results for a given UI design.
- Basic grasp of quantitative data analysis and inferential statistics.
- Solid written, verbal, and visual communication skills; ability to distill complex ideas into concise and accurate narratives that enlighten and inspire.
- Passion for understanding the latest learnings and innovations in behavioral science, research methods, and UX design and applying these to your work.
- Experience in the utilization of behavioral data and the design and analysis of A-B tests a plus.
- Experience researching and developing experiences for global markets.
- Strategic, business-building approach to research with a passion for translating data into bottom-line impact.