Professional branding is how you communicate who you are and what you do. This is an in-depth introduction to building your professional brand in the software development space! Our speaker, Richard Miller Wimmer, is a Software Engineer at Insight and a boot camp graduate who has worked on cultivating his professional brand from the ground up.
Richard will discuss what exactly professional branding is and how it can positively impact your career, as well as provide tips and resources for how you can start building a brand that tells the world your story.
- The importance of professional branding lies in telling the story of who you are, highlighting your strengths, skills, and unique attributes, establishing your reputation, and building trust.
- A strong professional brand can lead to career growth by increasing visibility and positively impacting others.
- To build your professional brand, you must know who you are, identify your characteristics and skills, and effectively communicate them in your work and interactions.
- When communicating your brand, emphasize your technical and soft skills and your contributions and deliverables in a professional setting. This helps demonstrate what you bring to the table and your ability to contribute to the larger picture.
- Completing and maintaining consistent profiles on platforms like LinkedIn and GitHub is important. These profiles act as resources making it easier for recruiters and hiring managers to find and remember you. Consider using social media and generating substantial content like blog posts and tutorials to increase your visibility and help others.
The views and opinions expressed in this video are those of the presenter and do not necessarily represent the view of edX or its parent company 2U, Inc.