Your LinkedIn summary introduces you to your entire LinkedIn community including current and former colleagues, potential employers, and family and friends. LinkedIn provides a platform to share what makes your accomplishments and relevant skills unique, and the summary is the perfect place to showcase this from the get-go. Displayed on your profile under the “About” header, you can tailor your summary to your particular niche in the coding industry.
The purpose of your LinkedIn summary is to:
- Demonstrate your passion for your niche in the field of coding
- Emphasize the unique value you bring to your role
- Give your reader an idea of who you are as a professional
Essentially, you are communicating your professional brand in your LinkedIn summary.
The format for your LinkedIn summary is flexible, so it’s up to you how you’d like to present yourself. First-person pronouns are recommended, and you’re welcome to include an invitation to others to connect with you at the end.
You can get more detailed advice about developing your professional brand in our Professional brand guide and a closer look at LinkedIn in our LinkedIn profile guide.
“A strong introduction in your LinkedIn profile will get the reader interested in reading it. So it’s important to lead with telling them who you are before getting to the details.”
– Donne B., career expert
LinkedIn summary samples
Front-end web developer
As an innovative problem-solver passionate about developing apps, I focus on mobile-first design and development. Since completing the bootcamp, I have continued my studies independently to learn more about iOS and Android development.
I bring the following to every project:
- Problem-solving skills and perseverance
- Creativity and design fundamentals from a minor in graphic design
- Dedication to teamwork and flexible collaboration
- Foundational knowledge of agile software development principles
- Basic understanding of UX/UI principles
I’m excited to leverage my skills as part of a fast-paced, quality-driven team. Let’s connect!
Your LinkedIn summary is a great place to let your professional brand shine and kick-start many networking opportunities.
Check out our Professional brand guide, LinkedIn profile guide, and Networking guide for more in-depth information about similar topics.
Curious about what LinkedIn summaries look like in other related industries? Check out these samples:
- Sample LinkedIn summaries for data professionals
- Sample LinkedIn summaries for business professionals
- More industries — coming soon!